20091004

Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials is officially out for the public. If you haven't heard, this is free anti-virus, anti-spyware, and nti-malware software from Microsoft. I have been using Avast for years and have finally switched when it became available. I decided to switch because reviews have been generally positive, especially since it uses very little resources such as disk space and ram, and it works just as well as any other anti-virus software out there.

However, the auto-update mechanism has to be tweaked when it comes to new virus defintion files. I'm sure that it does auto-update. I'm just not sure what the schedule is since I don't leave my computer on all the time. I would prefer for it to check whenever it comes out of standy/hibernation, or when it boots/reboots, which Avast has already implemented (in my experience). This is something that must be implemented by Microsoft if they hope to have it widely adopted as the primary malware protection of users.

It can be downloaded at the Microsoft Security Essentials page.

One last thing. Your copy of windows must be validated in order for you to download the software.

No comments: